Monday 20 February 2012

Shirako and other exotic EAT in Japan


Shirako, as mysterious as its name sounds, is actually a delicacy where its easily available at most izakaya (Japanese pubs) and sushi bars. Japanese love to eat shirako raw during beer drinking session. Shirako is usually available and served during the winter season in Japan.

The cod-milt or cod fish sperm, or widely known as shirako by the Japanese, looks very much like pig or cow brain. It tastes creamy and buttery, with the outer membrane which burst in your mouth, and oozing out the watery texture from within. It is said that the advantage of eating shirako will give one stamina and good performance in bed. Heck! No wonder the Japanese chef will flaunt you a cheeky look whenever he serves you this! 
Below was a plate of small amount of shirako served in Akashi, which was also my first time trying out. The chef advised us to savour this delicacy slowly in order to enjoy it to the fullest....heee. Though shirako is considered one of the exotic EAT in Japan, but I can easily have shirako in Akashi, Singapore! When I was told that this was fish sperm, first thing that hit on my mind, was that it sure would be fishy....BUT amazingly it was NOT....I was falling head over heel. Would definitely have this SUPER fresh in Tokyo during my coming holiday trip in April!
Shirako, served with some sweet sour sauce to enhance its taste.

Another round of shirako somewhere in December, in Akashi too. As you can see, (picture below) this time the size and the quality was even better than the first shirako I had earlier in October (picture shown on the 2nd top). As shirako is mainly plenty during winter. I am addicted to shirako! But a little advice to heed, please let the sag burst and melt slowly in your mouth and enjoy the flow of smooth custard like shirako goes into every mouthful.

Other weird EAT which I would definitely love to try are.....

Fugu...Have gut to try out this Japanese blowfish. Only licensed chefs are allowed to handle and serve fugu, as it can be lethally poisonous. Poison produced by the blowfish is said to be even deadlier than cyanide, hence chefs are trained for seven years before they are allowed to use their skills professionally. Try it raw, baked, boiled, or even served in sake (just the tail, though).

Below, is seasoned and baked fugu which I had in Akashi.

Horse meat (basashi)...which is normally sliced thinly and served raw, dipped in soy sauce and often served with ginger and onions.

Whale meat....whale sashimi are widely available in shops and restaurants across Japan. If only I could overcome the guilt, maybe I would give this bloody red meat a try.

Call me EXOTIC, heartless, rare...whatever. I am grown up with it....I had squirel, snakes, rabbits, bats, wildboars, dogs, deers, crocodiles, monitor lizard, turtle....being served on my plate since I was a kid! So those delicacies listed on top, will just add on to my exotic eating habit list. FEAR FACTOR or what?! Anyone....LOL....pssst, psst...but one thing I could NOT bring myself to challenge are....all kinds of flying or crawly insects, or squirmy worms....yike.....!!

No comments:

Post a Comment